Thursday, August 30, 2018

Looks like it's time for my annual post! Actually I'm not trying to post annually. I still have my weekly reminder, only I think it's like three days a week. Doesn't matter! I stopped paying attention to it long ago. But now, it is time for me to rectify that.

My tutoring days are over, at least for a while. Life is changing once again. I'm bracing myself for that weird feeling that comes in September when everything within me tells me I should be going to school either to learn or to teach. It took me years to get over it the first time. Even when I was working full time I'd get a weird feeling when the kids started back to school. It always felt like something was missing. Perhaps I'm a born academic. Nah, probably not.

So, I've hung up my tutoring hat and now I have my Official Freelance Writer Hat firmly stuck on my head. It only comes off for my Storyteller Hat and that's about it actually. Writing and storytelling are now my bread and butter. Milk and eggs, hamburger and rotisserie chicken, frozen vegetables, avocados, rent, electric bill, car insurance, co-pays, yeah, you get the idea!  This is called sink or swim! So far, all summer long I've been swimming!

This choice, though extremely rewarding, is not easy. I've heard about people staying up all night to get an assignment done for publication or a grant finished for submission. Now I know only too well what that is like. In fact I'm writing this post after having finished an assignment that I worked on literally all night. It is now morning and my fingers are sore, I've been typing so long. Hours. Over nine hours to be exact.

Now that it's almost nine in the morning, and my work is done for the day, I'll work on winding down so I can actually get some sleep. Then, when I wake up, I'll start on my next assignment. It's a long one and will take over 40 hours to complete. I'll be working steadily for the next seven days stopping to eat and hopefully sleep. But that's okay because I'll be able to pay rent next month! And that's always a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment